[TechAssist] Re: Yamaha HTR 5250 RCVR Powers up then protect mode

  • From: "Chaz" <chaz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 04:54:31 -0600

I don't have the schem for that unit but, I can offer my own experience as a
starting point.

Since you've already taken out the finals, I would look next in the preamp
circuitry.  It sounds like the Yamaha, and a few others I've worked on, I own
when it's Protect circuitry for the output to speakers used to shut off the
audio output soon after Power On.  I had one set of match-pair outputs that
caused the complete shutdown.  Replaced them, and then only the audio
section got shut off.  I ended up replacing a set of preamps as well.

I've also noticed that many of the Yamahas are critical in having the outputs
replaced as "pairs" (NPN/PNP compliments) at the same time.  Replace one
with a new and leave the other (still good) in place has brought me "repeat
repairs" in the past.

On the other hand, if the "protect" circuit in that unit is for over-voltage
protection - then, again, since the outputs are out, I'd confim that there
aren't
any faulty electrocaps between the supply's bridge and the protect circuit.

Chaz

Date sent:              Sat, 17 Nov 2001 02:01:53 -0800 (PST)
From:                   Timothy Williamson <timvcr@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject:                [TechAssist] Yamaha HTR 5250 RCVR Powers up then