[TechAssist] Re: Windows DRIVER Problems

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 23:12:53 -0500

Bil, in the Win2000 device manager, right-click on the device you want
to be erased. then click on PROPERTIES. It will show you a list of files
involved with the device under question including .drv, .sys, .dll, etc.

After removing the files and rebooting, you could go back into the
device manager and if the device still exists, try right -clicking and
click on "scan for hardware changes".
I use that method when I need to use my SCSI scanner. The scanner is not
recognized by the system if turned on after the computer boots up, so if
I scan for hardware changes to the SCSI devices, the system will find
the scanner and enable it.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
7134 Fife Rd, RR 7
Guelph Ontario Canada N1H 6J4
Fax: (519)821-1530
email: gary (at) number63.ca

Bil Green wrote:

> Does anyone know of a sure fire way to remove a driver when just
> deleting it from the Device Manager is not working? (even in
> Safe Mode, or using the VIA uninstall and removing the PCI card).
>
> IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ THE REST, COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME
> HOW TO GET RID OF IMPROPERLY INSTALLED DRIVERS WHEN YOU DON'T EVEN
> KNOW ALL THE FILE NAMES. This seems to be a really big problem
> when drivers fail.
>
> Just reinstalled Windows 2000. All drivers loaded OK except the
> AC'97 Audio drivers. The Multimedia Audio Controller has an
> explanation mark and there is no sound.
>
> Deleted ALL audio drivers in the Device Manager (in Safe Mode)
>
> Still could not install the same AC'97 audio drivers which have
> always worked in the past on this system (with Windows 2000).
> Used the VIA program to install them (tried new one also).
>
> Then I disabled the on-board audio chip (in the BIOS) and booted
> up, drivers still won't install - only the Multimedia Audio
> Controller shows up in the Device Manager - with the same warning
> and... "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
> To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver".
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Bil Green
> 2001 TV VCR