[TechAssist] Re: VS4551 mitsubishi ,no power up when cold: only thump-thump. still not fixed

  • From: <damon101@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 08:51:58 -0500

I had a THUMPER several weeks ago.....it had the SMPS standalone board found
in the VS 4000 , VS5000, and VS 7000 series of TVs.

Turn it on .....thump...thump...thump...thump...thru the audio speakers for
about 30 - 90 seconds, with a solid picture. It eventually died (thumping)
and first
time out I had a shorted SMPS diode in the 130V line, 2nd time it died
(thumping) I
found a shorted Zener diode on the feedback winding of the 130V supply
transformer. It stopped after replacing the Zener.

Since most of these SMPS circuits are designed the same way, only difference
is the output IC type.....you may find the caps are good and the feedback
components are giving bad feedback signal. But I did first suspect dried out
caps. This zener was on the STRS6301 output used for 130V, and the audio
supply was on the same output. The zener was an OVP zener connected across
the output side of the Optoisolator....limited the feedback level to the
STRS6301.

Damon Brunger
Telrad Electronics
Fort Wayne IN