[TechAssist] VS4551 mitsubishi ,no power up when cold: only thump-thump. still not fixed

  • From: Phil Bader <tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 10:54:52 -0500

ARRRRG! I watched this set an hour last night, unplugged it, went home.
This morning, again, plugged it in cold, pushed power: "Thump-Thump..."
Same crappola.
I immediately unplugged it, removed back, removed two screws holding the
chassis frame in. Plugged it in, powered it up perfectly.Then  I flexed,
tapped,etc.No effect. I am still not sure if this is a borderline cap
discharging overnight and cooling(bad ESR) or some bad connection. I'm
stumped. I KNOW the cap i replaced last night was bad (see thread below).
Phil Bader

FIX?
I may have fixed the start up problem. I first replaced IC9A1 , an SE130
regulator.
But I then ESRd caps all over. I came across one cap soldered to the
bottom of the board to 5 pin regulator,IC9A2 (looked like soldered to
pins 1,2) It was a 4.7mfd@50V. It was totally open.
I replaced it.
Unit came right up with good picture.. Tomorrow morning will be the test
for the cold start.
Phil Bader

--

Philip Bader