[TechAssist] Re: UPDATERe: Friends Gateway 500 essential,won't load win98

  • From: "TechAssist Admin." <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 05:51:40 -0500

Yeah, that installation utility (IBM, Maxtor, WD) all look
the same when installing, probably same company, but you
can't transpose one for the other, I've tried it.  Glad you
mentioned ontrack diskgo.  Now that is something to avoid.
If anyone sees this on an installation floppy, do not install
it or use it, try and delete it from the floppy (I've never
tried that, but you should make a copy of it first in case it
must be needed for correct operation of the floppy's
installation utility).  It may be good for diagnosing
problems, but it loads some software that runs with WINDOWS,
and from the VERY FIRST boot, the PC will continually try to
connect to the internet and download all sorts of garbage!
It does this while you are trying to install all the drivers
on a new HD or format.  It is in the autoexec.bat, start up
folder and on C: drive as well as the temp folder.  What a
pain.  You have to run MSCONFIG and uncheck all instances of
it there under the startup tab, then uncheck it in the
autoexec.bat tab, and it also dumps files in the temp folder
which will also try and run all the time.  Empty that too.
Even after it's finished downloading all the software, and
you are through with it, the program runs in the background
all the time (this is why these things above must be done).
At this point when it is running, it is some kind of a
monitoring software.  Personally I think this is more trouble
that it's worth.  If one runs scandisk and defrags on a
regular basis, it's not needed.  It's just something else
running in the background that can cause errors and consume
memory & resources.  This type software is on the newest
western digital installation floppy (and the download too).
I cannot recall if it's on the newest Maxtor installation
floppy.  What I do is keep an old version of all hardware
manufacturer's installation utilities and use them instead of
this new trash.  Now after all this, Ron may not even end up
having to reformat!  :-)
-Clint

God Bless Us All
Clint Hamilton, Owner