[TechAssist] Re: Trouble with 10x Probe

  • From: "Jerome Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:46:10 -0500

There are two problems. First, small resistors have a voltage rating,
typically 500 volts DC, so you have to string several in series to avoid
exceeding the voltage rating. Thats what happened to the resistor in your
probe.
Second, the voltage division at high frequencies is determined by the
capacitance of the resistors, cable, and scope input rather than the
resistance value. To provide a voltage division independent of frequency or
waveshape the scope input needs to have a certain value of capacitor across
it. Thats why your probe had a adjustable trimmer capacitor in it and you
adjusted it for a good replica of the scopes calibration square wave. Small
resistors have a few picofarad of capacitance, say 5. If you put nine 1 meg
resistors in series, the string has 5/9 picofarad of capacitance. For a 10:1
voltage division you need a total of  50/9 picofarads scope input and cable
capacitance. Whatever enclosure and cable you use with your homemade probe
wil have some capacitance also, so a trimmer cap is necessary to adjust to
compensate.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave Greenville SC 29609