[TechAssist] Re: Trouble with 10x Probe

  • From: Bil Green <tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wayne Vanaman <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 05:09:45 -0800

Thanks Wayne,

My B&K goes up to 200V (2000V with the 10x probe). One day I got so
mad (because I needed to measure 1700V PP) that I used the bad probe
in the direct mode (1700V on the 200V input) and it didn't blow out
the scope.

I was able to at least see that the waveform was far higher than 200V.
It's an old scope, so I cared less about damaging it. Works fine still.

This place has a 50kV scope probe for only $47. Huge hippo clips, but
those could be changed out. http://ezprobe.com/products/HV/
I just couldn't wait. Some of the guys said there needs to be a very
small capacitance across the series resistors (9M). 20pF brought the
voltage up to normal (from only 10% or so).

I only need 2% or better accuracy when measuring the 1700V I'll be
testing. I believe most DMMs will do OK measuring the 2M or so
resistors required for the 10:1 circuit.

The probe's cable will only be exposed to 1/10 the voltage present at
the front end of the resistors.

Bil

PC 1000
Mammoth Lakes, CA