[TechAssist] Re: Trouble with 10x Probe

  • From: "John at Main TV" <maintv2004@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:16:10 -0700

I always make my own scope probes.  I do not like what is available except
the HP probes which are very expensive.  It sounds like you got it figured
out.  One suggestion regarding the trimmer cap.  I use a small disk
capacitor of slightly less value than what is required, then add a short
length of 2 conductor wire,  something like the wire used for earphones,
very fine. Solder one conductor to each side of the capacitor.  I start with
about 6 inches of wire, then gradually shorten  until I reach the correct
capacitance.  It may take a couple tries to get it right.  That way you can
put shrinkable tubing over it and it is very compact.  John.
John Mielke
Main TV
Longmont,Co 80501
303 776 6955