[TechAssist] Toshiba 42H81 blowing fuse

  • From: "Valley TV" <valleytv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 15:07:21 -0500

Hi everybody!
Hope someone has encountered a disaster that I have with a Toshiba 42H81
blowing a 5A fuse.
Sent to a home outside of Philadelphia with the complaint "red light blinks
only".  Found F850, F851 (5amp fuses), F470 (2A) and F890 (3.15A) all blown.
Carefully checked for ANY defective parts and found NONE (quite a surprise when
4 fuses blow).  I replaced all 4 fuses and held my breath..  TV immediately
came on with a great picture which really was a surprise! Since there have been
so many electrical storms around I was hopeful.. 2 days later customer called
and said "red light blinks only".  I expected to find all the fuses blown again
but only F850 (+16V) had blown.  When I replaced it the set immediately came on
but I "knew" there was no way it was only a bad fuse.  I pushed the service
manual cd in my laptop and found that F850 and F851 both fed the 2 convergence
IC's.  I replaced both and really did not expect to hear from the customer
again.  Surprise..2 more days and "red light blinks only".  I'm planning on
driving back tomorrow but I would appreciate anyone's th
 oughts on this.  Set cannot be removed from home in this case so I will
certainly have to figure it out there..  I have had some new bad STK392-110's
in the past but it seems unlikely but any ideas are helpful!

Gary
Valley TV
Drums, Pa office
valleytv@xxxxxxx