[TechAssist] Re: Surface-mount desoldering/removal unit

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 20:49:22 -0400

Its widely available from distributors. Converts the solder to a very low
melting temperature form. If the IC is not glued down you can almost lift it
off without damage to chip or traces. You might have to heat the IC to break
the glue bond. Biggest problem is cleanup to get rid of every trace of the
alloy. After cleanup and applying fresh solder and resoldering I pry on
every trace just to make sure, but I have had some recalls after a few weeks
for some of the solder joints having cracked, so I use ChipKwik only as a
last resort.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave