[TechAssist] Re: RCA VCR Model VR480 - ejects tape

  • From: "William Rayburn" <premtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 21:23:09 -0800

Wally,
Could be a couple of things. Check and see if the solenoid is activating during
the load
process (there is only one solenoid in the VCR and it's located below the
cassette on the
right end when loaded). During early stages of failure it may make a clicking
noise.  If
that's it, replace solenoid. Replace mode switch to prevent repeat failure.
Secondly, it could be the master cam is jammed, and the VCR is simply shutting
down. Check
link gear. It is the gear on the deck that engages the rack on the right end of
the cassette
carriage. Look for missing teeth.
While you're there and most importantly, Check that metal gear rack that meshes
with a round
horizontal gear on the deck. This is kind of hard to see, but on this gear rack
as it slides
on the plastic side plate, there is a small piece of plastic that breaks off
causing timing
to jump.  That would explain loading and not getting any head rotation because
the mode
switch is out of time.
Hope this helps.
Bill