[TechAssist] RCA CTC169 proj. lense- is it algae or burn on CRT face? [UPDATE]

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:03:15 -0400

Thanks for everyone's time to reply.

I put the lenses back on the CRTs and fired up the set. I can see the
algae in the green CRT but the picture shines through it no problem. Red
and blue are clear. I called the customer and explained the situation
and the extra cost involved, but he said he was quite happy with the
picture before he brought it in for repair and that he'll call me again
if the picture becomes cloudy in the future.

Unfortunately I now have another problem with this chassis. I believe
there is a hairline crack in the circuit board somewhere because
sometimes the set fires up without the CRT's lighting up. The filaments
are lit and there is HV, and when I slide out the main board and twist
it a bit, the CRT's come on. Have done a lot of soldering and I am now
searching the board for cracks. I pushed once at the centre of the board
and the CRT's came on but I can't get it to repeat, Arugggg. I did find
the chocolate drop sydrome at the base of the vertically mounted board
behind the tuner so I removed the board and cleaned it up- no change.
Maybe the scope and schematic will find it.

Will report back when I find the crack.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada
Est. 1984
email: gary (at) number63.ca

My original message:

I have a CTC169 projection in the shop that I replaced the HV splitter.
Now I am cleaning the CRT lenses and I found the green one to have a
smear look to it on the CRT face. The coolant does not seem to have
bubbles or things floating around in it, but it looks like there is
algae on the CRT face. Either that or the face is burned. I have
included a link to a photo I took of the CRT so maybe someone will be
able to tell.

http://www.number63.ca/crt-lense.jpg

I've only done a coolant job on one projection, that being an old
Philips set, so I'm not real familar with the symptoms. I didn't notice
any problem with the picture when looking into the lense before I
removed it to clean. Is it worth ripping it apart to change the coolant,
especially with RCA not providing new gaskets? Will I have to do it to
all 3 CRT's to even up the brightness of the picture afterwards (red and
blue don't have this problem but may look worse than a cleaned up green)?

I've already told customer $250.00 to change the splitter. I'm afraid
he'll want to cancel the whole job if I tell him more money to change
coolant. How much should a job like this be worth, with new HDTV
projections, plasma, etc entering the scene?

Thanks for any replies.
--

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics