[TechAssist] Re: Noisey coils & Transformers

  • From: jmgoins.tn@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 04:00:36 -0500

A few years back I worked for an outfit that had contracted to service
quite a few Wyse terminals. This was long before I had ever heard of an ESR
meter. In a Wyse 60 terminal the power supply free runs at an audible
frequency, at startup, and
syncs to the horizontal sync (ultrasonic frequence). A cap dried out which
supplied the signals for the PS to sync to, and the PS stayed at an audible
frequence. Male techs (myself included) could hear this but barely, but it
annoyed some secretaries immensely.

Mike Goins    jmgoins.tn@xxxxxxxxxxx