[TechAssist] Re: Mitsubishi CK3526R

  • From: "Leonard G. Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 11:30:34 -0400

WA-C chassis.  I have one in the shop right now that I am rebuilding, been
through the PS/Def, CRT, and DBF and have found 20 bad caps so far.  I
expect to find another dozen at least on the PIP, Signal, and Input boards.
I can see that many that are leaky.

On these WA (like the V11, V12 RPTV) chassis sets you have to check every
polarized electrolytic cap for electrolyte leakage, value, ESR, and DC
leakage.  Be sure to pull all of the larger ones to check for leakage.
Actually, if you jsut resolder them you can hear the sizzle or smell the
electrolye usually if they are bad.  All of the 2200 uFd caps usually are.
If you don't go through it carefully you can count on a recall soon.  Been
there.

The regulator may or may not be bad, but don't even try to troubleshoot it
until you get all of the bad caps, including especially the vertical circuit
and protection circuit at the back of the deflection board near the FBT.
Another thing to check on these sets is the yoke.  I have seen a few with
bad spots in the yoke that cause repeat vertical failures.

Check c913 in the PS also.  It is the green poly cap nest to the reg IC.  I
have seen a few of these cause repeat regulator failures.

Basically, you can fix most of these sets with caps, afew need regulators,
and a few need vertical ICs.  There is good money in these and they stay
fixed if the CRT is in good shape.  Be sure to clean all the corrosion and
black goo off of the traces or it will continue to corrode.  I wash the
boards with denatured alcohol and resolder all of the heat producing parts.

Leonard G. Caillouet
Electronics World
Gainesville, FL
352-332-5608