[TechAssist] Re: HDTV OTA questions

  • From: "Jeff Farnsworth" <jlfonz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:20:04 -0500

80 miles?  I had my own antenna biz for years and IHMO winegard HD-7084 or
HD-8200 antennas with their ap series pre-amps.  I allways used the AP-8275,
their highest gain pre-amp for both vhf and uhf but you might choose a
different model IF it costs less.  In the unlikely event that you are
overamped (80 miles--huh?)--I allways went with AP-8700.  Here are pre-amp
specs  http://www.winegard.com/offair/pdf/Chart29.pdf
You can get everything you need right online from
www.nesselectronics.com
Don't forget---for the most part--the higher you go--the better the
reception you get.  If you're gonna start putting up towers I recommend ROHN
"G" series for resedential.
http://www.rohnnet.net/ROHNNET/rohnnet2004/html2004/index.html
  I used to put up 40' self supporting 20G tower with top of the line
antenna (HD-8200) Amp (AP-8275) Rotor Channel master CM9525 wires and
concrete for $1400  This was many years ago.  10" tripod on the roof is the
next best thing--and less expensive.  I again reccomend the rohn 10" tripods
as they are very very rugged.  The less expensive one are ok also--just not
as tough.
DO NOT bother yourself with those omni-directional fly saucer pieces of
junk.  they work allright in urban areas but are generally worthless at 25
miles let alone 80.

TV Doctor
Avalon, Wi