[TechAssist] Re: Gateway Plasma GTW-P42M102 zapped by staticfrom a hot secretary.

  • From: TechAssist <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 16:40:22 -0500

Gateway is closing 118 retail stores and putting 2500 people out of work.
They may not be in the picture much longer.
J. Knoll TechAssist Monitor TechAssist 225 Monticello Ave. Clarksburg WV,
26301 www.tech-assist.org[1] www.techassist.net[2] Toll Free 1-866-Tech-Aid
10.00 am to 5.00 pm EST Time Voice mail 1-304-669-8140
------------------------------------------------------- PS: If replying to
this email, please include all previous correspondence. It is the only way
wecan get the full picture. Thank You!!!

Doug Keller wrote: I went through that last fall with them. The HD in one
hada glitch or something, and someone had formatted it. Then I got it. They
brought it and the recovery disks in. It will NOT load and run windows, from
neither the recovery disks nor the windows cd that came with it. I know it's
a proprietary bug they put in it, but all they would tell me is to "have the
customer send it back in to us". I told them they were crazy and wanted to
rape the customer. I believe they told me $300. They kept wanting the serial
number and the customers name. I didn't give them that, because someone told
me that they will look up the customer and call them trying to sell them a
new computer, since they "happen" to know the old one is broken. I told them
that I would NEVER recommend them for anything again. That they were just
like Dell, HP, etc. Doug Keller Wis-Kel Electronics 101 Freeland Ave. Terra
Alta, WV USA 26764 dek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx[3] dek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[4]
http://www.tech-assist.org[5] "Learn from the mistakes of others, because
youwon't live long enough to make them all yourself" Jim Myers wrote: Got a
number for Gateway tech support, (888)737-6949, only to find out they don't
sell parts, have customer call them for service! Like they have a service
shop in every little burg.
'************************************** Since 1972 Jim Myers Telrad
Electronics Fort Wayne, Indiana Jim Myers wrote: Tried a different IR
sensor,no help, still just three tenths of a volt on the output pin and
ity-bitty pulses from the remote. I traced the IR path to IC U4 which is an
80 pin surface mount square flatpack, goes to pin 80. Number on U4 is
6413079F18 and it is on the board with 2 15 pin VGA, 1 9 pin serial and a
flat panel monitor connector. Any information on where to get the ic or the
board? Thanks,
************************************** Since 1972 Jim Myers Telrad
Electronics Fort Wayne, Indiana Scott Beebe wrote: Hello Jim, If you take
outthe IR sensor, then that would rule out the receiver. But it sounds like
amicro problem to me. Thanx, Scott Beebe Ohm Electronics Inc. 609 W. Clinton
St. Ithaca NY 14850 Voice: (607) 273-8406 Fax: (607) 273-8743
WWW.OhmElectronicsInc.com[6] mailto:Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[7]
Wednesday,March 31, 2004, 3:57:48 PM, you wrote: Jim> Are technical
questionsstill allowed? Jim> This Gateway GTW-P42M102 has a sticker on the
inside that says it is a Jim> LG model PDP42WVSN3. The owner says a worker
atthe office caused a Jim> static spark when she reached for the buttons on
the front, now it has Jim> the menu displayed over the picture all the time
with the cursor bar Jim> scrolling up over and over. Also the remote no
longer works. The wire Jim> from the remote receiver at the connector has
three tenths of a volt and Jim> very low amplitude pulses when the remote is
activated. The end wire on Jim> this 6 pin connector has 5 volts. Sounds
likethe micro or the IR Jim> receiver got zapped but if anyone has service
manual or information on Jim> this a little help would be nice. Jim> Thanks,

************************************** Jim> Since 1972 Jim> Jim Myers Jim>
Telrad Electronics Jim> Fort Wayne, Indiana Jim>
-Jim> Lost Password: Jim> http://www.tech-assist.org[8] and select "Login
Problems?". Jim> Email Archives: Jim>
//www.freelists.org/archives/techassist/[9]
-Lost Password: http://www.tech-assist.org[10] and select "Login Problems?".