[TechAssist] Re: FYI 2SC4834 Sony power supply transistors Q601,Q602

  • From: "Leonard Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 22:15:39 -0500

I never replace the MOVs (VDR) unless they are bad.  When they are they will
generally show something less than infinite resistance.  I use the drive
test on the Sencore with a horizontal key pulse and watch where they clamp
if I suspect them.  It only goes up to 300 vpp so I don't get a full voltage
test on some of them, but I shouldn't see any clamping at all at that level
on the higher voltage ones.  With the lower voltage ratings I just turn up
the drive signal until I see it clamping on the scope.  If the source of the
problem is the HDT solder connections and a shorted HOT, the MOVs are almost
never a problem.  I have found that the more likely cause of problems in
these circuits are the caps.  You have to check them all.  I have seen some
that were just off value by 30-40%, but usually they are cracked or shorted.

As for the time it takes to match them, I have found that I get good matches
by buying lots of 10 and sorting them by forward bias voltage on the
junctions.  Takes just a few minutes on each batch.  Then if I get a pair
with a duty cycle off by more than a few percent I reverse them and that
almost always corrects it.  Time is money, and recalls waste time.  More
importantly, reputation is money and I hate having recalls, so it is worth
my time to make sure it is right.  Besides, we mark up the parts enough to
cover the effort in getting it right.

Leonard Caillouet
Electronics World
Gainesville, FL