[TechAssist] Re: Best way to clean a head.

  • From: Ralph Dorsey <Merlin-Wizard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 01:28:29 -0600

guys i have something on this subject. First of all, that's what this format is
for, so we can communicate and realize that your not alone out there. Second,
concentrate on improving your knowledge and repair skills. this will allow you
to repair those "higher" end items like the 30"-36" direct view sets, and of
course the most profitable of all, the PROJECTION sets. I started moving in this
direction about 11-12 years ago. I know alot of you out there must have also.
That's why the shops that are profitable are still working because we gave up
repairing those low end products, for the much more profitable larger units. (We
still have a few techs that just work at our shop on 13"-27" sets, but for a
much reduced rate. 13" about $50-55, !9"-20" about $80, and the 25'-27', we can
still get, for the low brand names such as samsung, sharp,zenith,dawoo etc.,
about $100-$125.(And don't forget about that all important word,,,CASH). I
almost always demand cash if I'm doing a customer a favor like a reduced price
Etc. I do negotiate sometimes. I've found that some customers will walk if the
estimate is just $5 high than what they thought. But I insist on cash if I
negotiate a different price ( and cash isn't credit card or check and I let the
customer know this). For the better name brands like Sony,Jvc, toshiba, Mitz
etc., we can still get as much as $175-$200. Some 27' sony and Mitz console
version or high end xbr's you can still get $250 or so. Vcr's have the same
trend,,if its a low end unit, move it on,,but there is always a few that come in
that look like new, have all the doors and remotes, and are still worth working
on. It might take a little talking to the customer, but we all know that some of
them are high quality products and only need some attention, I can see where a
customer might not want to spend over $90-$100 to fix, but many can and should
be repaired in the $60-$75 range. Now if you have a good vcr tech that can
finish at least one unit an hour (and i know many that do two an hour) that's
easy to see that 8x75=$600 a day. There are many TV techs that don't do as well.
Now I know you might not have 8 good units a day, but this is just an example.
..in closing I would like to say that the sets we repair today are generally
more reliable than the sets I worked on 15yrs, (and before) ago. So come on with
those sour pusses,,roll up them sleeves and get to know your products. Pass on
the losers and work on those repairable items. Most customers appreciate it when
you tell them its not worth fixing,and will bring you all their work from now
on. You can't please all the people all the time, but you can please most of the
people most of the time. Working together to help our customers is what this is
all about,,Now enough of the Pep talk,,,get going and make some money$$$