[TechAssist] Re: Best way to clean a head.

  • From: Ledstiles@xxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 20:45:10 EST

In a message dated 11/24/2001 5:22:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,

<<
 Date:  11/24/2001 5:22:53 PM Pacific Standard Time
 From:  wa6ati@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Dennis Viereck)
 Sender:    techassist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 To:    techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 I Instruct my techs not to use toothbrushes with chemicals like MEK.
 Inexpensive acid brushes or wooden paint brushes work excellent in these type
 of chemicals because the brush or handle will not dissolve and contaminate
 the board with the plastic from toothbrushes.

 For the paint brushes I use up to 1 inch wide with the bristles cut to about
 3/4 ~ 1 inch in length. These last for years. I loose them before they wear
 out.
 Watch out for MEK it is a outstanding solvent for flux but us it in a
 ventilated room. It is not a chemical you want to used to smelling.

 Dennis Viereck

 gulftech@xxxxxxxx wrote:

 > I use MEK to clean boards before and after a repair.  It works really
 > great and MUCH cheaper than flux remover.  (About $5.00 a quart at Ace
 > Hardware.)  Just have to get used to the strong smell!  I use a
 > toothbrush to apply--have to change out every few months.  It works on
 > the plastic and gives me a bad taste when I brush my teeth.  (Just
 > kidding...)
 >
 > I must respectfully disagree on using Q-Tips on video heads.  IMO, it's
 > fine for the rest of the tape path, but not for the video heads.  I use
 > denatured alcohol (also from Ace) for the tape path.  MEK might be great,
 > especially for the pinch roller, but since my can of MEK is contaminated
 > from board cleanings, I won't even try it.  Have used Acetone as a last
 > resort a few times, but am fearful of damage to the head core and
 > windings.
 >
 > Ken Smith >>
Ken , I use flux Gone flux remover for flux removel. It's made by 4 star
chemicals ,smell is not bad at all. and leaves no residue at all like all the
rest. It's the best I've come across,and not to expensive either. Comes in a
large green and white spray can that I spray into little bottles and dab on
with q-tips.
Larry
N.C.S.