[TechAssist] Re: Best way to clean a head.

  • From: Dennis Viereck <wa6ati@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:32:26 -0800

Ed:
Yes. As tape speed increases the better frequency response will be the ultimate
result. This will increase the number of octaves that can be placed on the
tape. On a standard reel to reel tape machine 15 ips would achieve an
outstanding frequency response. But you sacrifice the amount of time you have
by the physical limitations of the tape length. I think a standard T120 tape we
only have 240 feet of tape. By helically writing on the tape rather than a
linear track we can take advantage of the short tape length and place it
diagonally on the tape. This way we can increase the head to tape writing
speed.

At over 19 feet per second we have so much bandwidth we can record an FM R.F.
spectrum. In the case of HI-FI, I believe it is 1.3 mhz for L-R and 1.7 mhz for
L+R.

Dennis Viereck