[TechAssist] Re: Any info on this old tube/ additional info

  • From: greentron@xxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 03:11:41 +0000

What sort of analyzer test was that used for? I used to use photomultiplier
tubes in nuclear radiation monitors. The radiation would cause flashes of light
when captured in a transparent crystal material. The photons would cause
electrons to be emitted from the cathode in the tube. The electrons would be
accellerated to an anode. When they struck the anode a shower of electrons
would be emitted. These would be accellerated to the next anode which was at a
higher voltage,
 and etc.. It took 800 to 1200 volts to make the tube work. The various anodes
and the cathode were connected to taps on a voltage divider. The gain of the
tube was adjusted by adjusting the high voltage.  The current from the last
anode would go to a milliampmeter or to a pulse amplitude analyzer. They are
still used for this purpose as they are more sensitive than solid state
devices. The Harshaw Chemical Co. of Cleveland Ohio used to make them and kept
large numbers of them on burn-in. The ones that exhibited good stability at
high gain over a long period of time brought very high prices.
J Silverman