[TCUG] Conflicts between cyclists/accesses and pedestrian facilities

  • From: Howard Saffer <Howard.Saffer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 15:15:39 +0100

We are looking at a couple of schemes (feasibility/design) where it is
required to install signalised pedestrian facilities (with
audibles/tactiles) - probably on an all -round pedestrian stage. However
there are potential conflicts with uncontrolled vehicles (from driveways to
houses) and/or cyclists (uncontrolled entry into junction) - and we are
pondering over whether to allow this. We think it is likely that cyclists,
and drivers from properties, are most likely to emerge and cross the
pedestrian facilities when they are green (i.e. when all other traffic is
stopped). It this fair and safe for pedestrians? However separately
signalling driveways and/or a cycle entry could be confusing for pedestrians
- as this would be similar to an all-red stage, but without the ped.
crossing signals operating.

What do other authorities do in this situation (on the design of new
schemes)?

Regards

Howard Saffer
Sheffield City Council

The information in this email is confidential. The contents may not be
disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee.  If you are not the
addressee, please tell us by using the reply facility in your email software as
soon as possible. Sheffield City Council cannot accept any responsibility for
the accuracy or completeness of this message as it has been transmitted over a
public network.  If you suspect that the message may have been intercepted or
amended please tell us as soon as possible.