[TCUG] Re: ASL

  • From: "Bruce Slattery" <bruce_slattery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <John.Burgess@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 13:48:40 +0100

I would support this we essentially put in ASL's at all signal junctions =
with a 300mm length and a 45 degree feed in marker when we can not achieve =
a full lane. We also colur them all red so as to highlight that they are =
not normal carriageway.=20

This is I accept a liberal interpretation of the regs but in an urban =
setting where cyclists are prevalent this at least provides a farmal gap =
that the cyclist can enter the lane in.

This has been done on more than 100 locations without significant issue =
and has not adversely affected road safety.

Also most igns are not affected if you put ASL's on all arms as all =
distances increase, it can make peds a bit long but only by a second or =
so.

Regards=20

Bruce Slattery
Traffic Signals and ITS Manager

>>> John.Burgess@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 05/25/05 01:34pm >>>
Chapter 5 of sign regs, para 16.21 states that feeder lane 'must' be
provided. It does not say how long it should be!