[tccrockets] Re: Laundry list of things to consider for the equipment trailer

  • From: R Dierking <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tccrockets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 11:55:02 -0800

I don't know anything specific about the TCC trailer, however here are some
general suggestions.   Be careful about the distribution of weight particularly
if the weight is approaching the maximum weight for the trailer.  Most of the
weight should be in the front of the wheels for stability.  I suggest putting
the tong of the empty trailer on a scale and begin loading it with an eye on
the scale.   For a club trailer, I suggest combo locks that can be set.  This
way, you only need to share the combo with the people responsible for the
trailer.  If you've ever gone to a club trailer to do something and forgot the
trailer key you know what I'm talking about.  Also, if someone leaves the
group, or the combo is compromised in some way, you can reset the combo.  So,
you will not have to be concerned with key control. I really like the idea of
exchangeable leads for alligator clips. My two and two-tenths cents (includes
the new sales tax rate). Richard Dierking From: drrbk@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: tccrockets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tccrockets] Laundry list of things to consider for the equipment
trailer
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 10:26:18 -0800

Hi All,

I was making a list of ideas for the yearly TCC trailer/cleaning
ritual.  Please feel free to add to this list or come up with better
ideas!  Here are mine in no particular order......

1.  Better PA speaker anchoring and a few new ones that can go in the
front/top area.

2.  Store ALL rails on the side wall so that no rails are on the
floor.

3.  That wood box/storage thingy has to go!  Suggest we either
use a big tube made of sono or PVC for what stakes are still needed to be
stored.

4.  Consider a system of loading that doesn’t distribute as much
weight towards the front.

5.  The hitch could use some grease.

6.  Make more keys so others that can’t wait to pull the trailer to
the launches will have one.

7.  I was talking to Jack about ordering more quad pods such that all
HP pads would be such, with the possible exception of two old ones that would
be
“stake” types and only used for 1/4” and 3/8” rods.

8.  Store quad pods in the trailer “on their heads” and not in the
wagon.  Plenty of uses for the wagon such as spools, tool boxes, etc.

9.  Can we “bundle” a LOT of flight cards in one of the smaller rubber
maid containers so we aren’t always running short?  Say, a few
thousand?  We go through a lot.  Maybe we could also consider smaller
and briefer ones for Estes?  The kids could fill them our faster and
we
     don’t really need so much info.  More complex
Estes could still use the standard cards.

10.  The Estes pad needs some new rods and set screws.

11.  The pad sign cart needs serious help before it falls apart
completely.

12.  Lastly, I was thinking about modifying the HP clips/leads.
No matter how many times anyone says to hook up the clips to the igniter wires
such that they aren’t fried, we all know it is still going to occur from time
time.  What if we modified the leads by adding banana clips about two

       feet from the clips?  Then, if a
lead gets fried, we simply unplug the damaged clip/2’ lead and attach a spare
one in a matter of seconds.  We could make up a half dozen or so to keep as
replacements.  I don’t know if my idea of slipping about ten inches of
tubular kevlar over the clips
       and zip tying them in place is
workable or not, but the idea is worth kicking around.

OK, that’s it for my list.  We need to set a cleaning party date to
get this done.  It would be nice to do before the March launch, as things
start getting busier for everyone.

Richard