[tcb] Re: Driving a Split in 43 degrees...

  • From: David Schwarze <dschwarze@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 22:13:38 -0600

I drove a 62 Splitty for over three hours yesterday. Because of my amazing accomplishments behind the wheel of my '91 Civic race car, I was invited to the Top Gear test track in England to compete in a race with 11 other busses. They were all beautifully restored but despite that the race was real and quite brutal, not an exhibition race as you might expect. One longhaired yayhoo wearing a wifebeater shirt kept turning into me at the end of the straights - seems he had no respect for the sanctity of a nicely restored type2. I couldn't bear to look at the outside of my bus when the race was over, so I didn't.

Oh, I guess I should mention that the venue was Gran Turismo 5 on PS3 (I wasn't really fooling anyone, was I?). Anyone else played this yet? I have to say I was impressed with the level of detail on the busses and the accuracy in which they were portrayed. Engine noises sounded reasonably realistic in 5.1 surround, a bit too rough though, as if running on 3 cylinders. The trans ratios were closer to what my '73 bay has (max speeds 32mph in 2nd, 48ph in 3rd) and RPM was limited to only about 3800. Handling was abysmal, as one would expect. I must have run the race 50 times and could not finish better than 5th despite having 150,000+ miles behind the wheel of a REAL bus. Dunno if that means the game is not that great or if I just can't drive. :-)

-David

Neil wrote:
Yep, enjoy the sweet sweet ride in a split bus!  Not much like it!

        From: James Dwan <james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
        To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Date: Friday, November 26, 2010, 7:55 PM

        Thanks Eric, I am, and can't wait for Spring and the Nac show.
        Once I start driving I don't want to stop!

        --- On *Fri, 11/26/10, Eric Woodall

            From: Eric Woodall <ericthomaswoodall@xxxxxxx>
            To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
            Cc: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
            Date: Friday, November 26, 2010, 7:38 PM

            I have experienced the same thing (forgetting about the
            money pit)!
            Split buses have a tendency to turn frowns upside-down.
            Glad your finally getting to enjoy yours!

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Nov 26, 2010, at 7:25 PM, James Dwan
            <james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

            ... with the window stuck open tonight and loving it! I
            hooked up the speedo cable and then the satellite radio
            so I took him for a spin to East Dallas and drove down
            the highway for the first time (20 miles round trip).

            Solo driving for the first time in the 23 listening to
            the Grateful Dead through the back roads with a huge
            smile on my face...  I think I am starting to think of
            this Bus as mine instead of some money pit at a far off
            shop. I am loving it!