[tcb] Re: Anyone on the list have a Eurovan ?

  • From: Will Wood <evilscientistboo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 15:11:00 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

I think VW flunked on the reintroduced EVs.  While the 1992/93 models were the
intro of the T4 bus concept here in the US, the
pricetag was akin to a Dodge Caravan or a Chevy Astro.  When they reintroduced
it in the US with the VR6 suddenly it was a $32K
van.  When my wife had her 93 she was considering getting a newer one.  Instead
we sold it and she drove our (then) F350 Crew Cab Long Bed.  She liked it
because she felt like she was in a tank.  The only hassel I had with the 93 was
when I took it to have the Timing belt replaced.  The VW dealer couldn't get
the belt off so they put it back together.  The next day while my wife was
driving it the A/C compresor locked up and tore up that, the bracket and the
power steering pump.  $3200 later we had it fixed.  I took the dealer to court
considering it had been disassembled the day before the incident by the dealer
but the judge only awarded me the parts cost, not the labor.  $1200.. bah

I later found a 95 Winnebago conversion on a local used lot back in 2003.  It
had some electrical issues and was a repo.  I paid $3000 and put a few fuses in
it and fixed the A/C.  I sold it on EBay one year later for $14K...

I'll take those kinds of Eurovans any day of the week.