[talks-uk] Re: INSTALLING TALKS ON A NOKIA 5800 XPRESS MUSIC

  • From: "DurDevil" <durdevil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 20:02:28 +0100

Hi Paul

Sure you can install Talks without sighted help if your up for it and it's
especially easier if you've got the date/time already set.... Just get
familiar with where Key1 is first but that's usually bottom left when in
portrait view so is usually simple enough to find.

I love my N97 with talks and i would certainly recommend 5th edition phones if
people fancy something new. But best way to experience it is to start playing
around with the device..... So to answer your installation question so you can
start to play......

I include a very brief guide which I wrote for Eleanor on the list a while
ago and also a little podcast which was just a google away - hopefully it
all helps (note the podcast is a little old and from a USA perspective but
it all pretty much applies still, especially if you've already got the
date/time sorted anyway)

My brief and a little vague guide.....

assuming that you already have the phones date and time set, you install
Talks first because it is signed and the TTS is not but Talks will pick up
the built in Nokia TTS so it's enough to get you to be able to use the
device and get to the place to change this yourself and without sighted
help, so as follows -

1. connect phone to PC using cable, upon doing so the phone will beep and
ask connection method i.e. PC Suite, Mass storage (also known as Data
transfer on some devices) and so on, providing you haven't previously
connected the device to the pc in a selection other than PC Suite then PC
Suite should be the first choice and already selected so you just press Key1
and all good..... No need for eyes....
2. using PC and PC Suite select Talks 5 to install as you would be used to,
when phone beeps just press key1 and keep pressing key1 (bottom left in
portrait view) every few seconds and once Talks starts speaking your done
(this occasional press of key1 just accepts the various installation screen
options such as storage location for Talks etc but just hitting key1 will do
the best install i.e. installing to phone memory which gives the best
results)
3. then go to Menu>settings>application manager>installation settings, in
here change software installation to "All" instead of "signed" this will
ensure Eloquence installs ok as this is not signed like Talks is hence
installing Talks first.
4. once done then back out to homescreen using key2, and use PC Suite to
select the Eloquence TTS on your PC and install the Eloquence TTS, this time
you will have Talks speech guidance using the Nokia TTS
5. reboot phone to ensure Talks fully implemented into the device correctly,
then change TTS from the horrible Nokia one to the Eloquence one, you can
either go into Talks menu to do this, or use the Talks key (menu key) plus a
long slide and hold of the keylock switch on the side to activate switching
between TTS engines that are installed (on 5th Ed devices the keylock slide
switch doubles as the Talks and Clear key function of mute and TTS switch)

Now the podcast, worth a listen just to help my explanation be a little
clearer *smiles* -

The Podcast is on www.blindcooltech.com and is called Installing Talks

Direct download link is
http://media.libsyn.com/media/bct/bct1368InstallingTalks.mp3