[suncommunity] setup 2 NICs in solaris 9

  • From: jmd5@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Sun Community Forum <suncommunity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 20:58:01 +0100

This message was sent from: Sun Community Forum.
<http://www.gekkou.co.uk/forum/read.php?f=1&i=623&t=623>

Someone suggested i post my solaris questions to this list. I hope I am in
the right place. Let me preface by saying I am a hobbyist and trying to
build a home network to allow for the use of sun rays.  the hardware i have
is: spracstation 5 to run as a proxy server. ultra5 for main desktop and of
course one sun ray for now. the ss5 has 2 NICs and one is a working dhcp
for inbound from a cable modem and off the shelf gateway/firewall. unless i
find a better application i plan to install squid on the ss5.

my problem is on the ss5. i can get the network up on the second card,
however, it is not assigning the IP i have set in /etc/hosts. ifconfig -a
shows the interface plumbed but no IP address is assigned. i have followed
the instructions on this link: http://www.spitzner.net/interfaces.html . is
this still a valid way to set the network parameters? maybe i have edited
the files wrong. i just followed examples given in the specific files.

the primary interface on the ss5 has connection to the outside world.

thanks for any help.
jeff duncan

Sent using Phorum software version 3.4.3a <http://phorum.org>