[suncommunity] Re: Sun Blade 100 Second IDE drive

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Sun Community Forum <suncommunity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 11:05:37 +0100

This message was sent from: Sun Community Forum.
<http://www.gekkou.co.uk/forum/read.php?f=1&i=622&t=578>

Hi,

 I've just (within the last two weeks) done exactl this: added a second
drive to my SunBlade 100. The routine I used was:

= Set jumper(s) on the IDE drive so that it was in "Cable Select" (CS)
mode.
= Physically connect drive the IDE drive to the IDE and power cables in the
SunBlade
= Boot system to the  "ok>" prompt
= Type "probe-ide" at ok> prompt to get the hardware to see the
hard-drive
= Boot into Solaris
= Use the "format" command to find out the OS-device identifer for the
drive, cXtXdX
= Get back to command-line in OS and issue a "newfs cXtXdX" command using
the device identifier found from the "format" command
= Wait a minute or two while the IDE drive is UFS formatted
= Finally, do a "mount /dev/dsk/cXtXdXs2/wherever" to make the drive
"visible" to the OS [Slice 2 for the whole disk, use "format" to partition
the drive if required).

The whole thing took about 3 minutes for the 40G drive I added.

Hope that hellps,
Steve

Sent using Phorum software version 3.4.3a <http://phorum.org>