[suncommunity] Re: Sun Blade 100 Second IDE drive

  • From: John Hurley <jbhurley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: suncommunity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:26:05 -0400 (EDT)

Usually you create "unix" style partitions ... linux (not solaris) is getting
better at using disks partitioned by windows.

Do you have a plan on what / how you will divide up the drive ... do you want
one big partition?  What are you going to do with the file system space?

It's not hard to reinstall the os itself and let the gui do the partitioning /
help you out ... otherwise you have to work at the command line.

If you want to have fun, do it at the command line.  In that case, you use
format to "repartition" the drive, write out the label, then later use "newfs"
to create a unix file system then the "mount" command to make it available on
your system.

Try google searches for "solaris format disk" or "solaris newfs" ... and the
man command is your friend "man format", "man newfs", etc.

Lots of sites will have step by step instructions, you may want to be sure your
version of OBP is relatively up to date and perhaps patch version of solaris.