[suncommunity] USB strangeness on Blade 100

  • From: Rob J Meijer <rmeijer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: suncommunity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 23:23:56 +0200 (CEST)

After trying to get a SM card mounted using a Apacer Megasteno USB card
reader and failing, after severall re-formats of the SM card on a
win2000 box, where solaris fdisk showed a neat single dos partition of the
size of the (32MB) SM card, I finaly tried the folowing:

* delete the partition with fdisk on the solaris box (blade 100)
* format the SM card on the win2000 box without any partition table
  pressent.
* mount the SM card on the solaris box using:
   mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c1t0d1s2 /mnt/steno/

Now for some reason this works, while the fdisk commando seems to no
longer show any valid information. Does anyone have a clue as to what
I did, and why mount and fdisk cant seem to agree on what would be a valid
DOS formated SM card.

fdisk now shows the folowing:

             Total disk size is 31 cylinders
             Cylinder size is 2048 (512 byte) blocks

                                               Cylinders
      Partition   Status    Type          Start         End             Length
  %
      =========   ======    ============  =====         ===             ======
 ===
          1                 Other OS       954029       1511406         557378
  100
          2                 Other OS       896484       1801201         904718
  100
          3                 Other OS       937006       1047034         110029
  100

This seems like totally bogus, but mount works, while it didn't when the
partition showed just the single 0..30 31 cylinder long partition.

Although I am hapy to have things working, I would like to know why and
how this can be, and if there would be some more correct way to get SM
cards readable for both solaris and Win2000 without screwing up the
partition table like this?

T.I.A.

Rob J Meijer