[suncommunity] Re: External HDD on Sun Blade

  • From: Thierry Besancon <Thierry.Besancon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: suncommunity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:48:42 +0100 (MET)

Dixit phorum@xxxxxxxxxxxx (le Tue, 9 Dec 2003 19:12:39 GMT) :

» Do you guys think I need to buy a specific USB external hard drive (Solaris
» supported) in order to work with my Blade workstations?

I went to PC shops and bought empty external firewire/usb2 cases and
somewhere else 120 Go IDE hard drives (seagate ST3120026...) and that
works perfectly on my blade 100 + solaris 9 with the exception that
USB 1 is really slow. I currently have 2 brands of external cases,
each bought in low cost PC shops and they both work.

You need to put a disklabel using format before doing the newfs to
install the filesystems. But that is a piece of cake...

        Thierry