[suncommunity] External HDD on Sun Blade

  • From: phorum@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Sun Community Forum <suncommunity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 16:26:44 GMT

This message was sent from: Sun Community Forum.
<http://www.gekkou.co.uk/forum/read.php?f=1&i=2758&t=2758>

Hello!

I want to 'warm up` the thread of attaching an external drive to a Sun
machine:

My idea is to attach a standard external HDD to my Sun Blade 2000 running
Solaris 9. For example a >>Western Digital Combo Hard Drive 250GB SE USB
2.0/Firewire (WDXC2500JBRNE)<<.
The idea is to have the disk running on the Blade and later connecting it
to a Windows PC, sort of for data transfer.
Of course SCSI would be a possibility, but I'm no millionaire, who can get
one or two of these pretty 180GB Seagate disks .....

Has anyone experience with attaching "consumer class" external dirves to a
Sun Blade? What is better? USB or Firewire? Do both work?
How does the disk appear? What has to be done to get them running??
What would be the suggestion for file system if the disk is supposed to be
accessible from the Sun AND a Windows PC? Can Solaris read NTFS in the
meantime?? Should be possible, if you can access the NTFS data when you
install Windows 2000 with one of those SUNPCi cards (I don't have one of
these cards ....), or am I mistaken?

Thanks in advance.

Sent using Phorum software version 3.4.4 <http://phorum.org>