[sugpro] Re: Is the topic limited to propellant only?

  • From: "Steve Peterson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> ("steve_peterson")
  • To: sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 09:06:24 -0700

Azadul,

These are all good questions, so let me use them to amplify my earlier comment about what has traditionally been discussed on this list.
(As I was composing/thinking, DH Barr has already chipped in with some specific answers....and demonstrating by example some of the points I make below.)

First, a general comment: this is a low-traffic list, some would say that lately it's a no-traffic list. As such, I would guess that most here would not object to a slight increase in traffic for a short period of time (over, say, a few days) for a non-sugar-related discussion. On the other hand, one of the things I think most here value is that the sugar content is not polluted with material that is, shall we say, better suited to somewhere like rocketryforum. I think most would not object to a *query* like your questions 1 and 2, because the responses are likely to be "yes, here's a link". That said, after the 100th question of that type (I'm exaggerating for effect), you might be told to use google instead of peppering us with non-sugar questions.

Now to your questions:

1. Liquids: try http://watzlavick.com/robert/rocket/index.html
After that, googling "amateur liquid rocket" will get you a number of examples :-) Also, aRocket is a good place go for liquid-related questions/discussions. (I hadn't considered liquified sugar....)

2. Thrust Vector control: not to my knowledge (but I don't try to keep up with that sort of experiment). For it to be useful, IMO, you need a fairly long-burning motor (tens of seconds) and most amateur motors don't burn that long. It's also very difficult, so a more promising approach seems to be to use canard fins. See: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/i-could-use-just-a-little-guidance.122042/ Again, aRocket may be helpful here.

3. Interestingly, there was, a few years ago, quite a lengthy discussion here about nozzle materials, nozzle construction techniques, heat transfer, and the like. I found it to be quite a good (relevant, detailed, informative) discussion and one that is not likely to be found elsewhere (in the context of sugar propellants--I'm sure similar discussions related to AP propellants have been had many times). You might check the archives here, but the short answer to this question is that phenolic and steel have also been used with sugar propellants.

4. Fiberglass "fuel cell"--if by that you are referring to the motor casing, then I will raise my hand and say "I have". This would be a fine topic for this list, assuming you're asking it in the context of sugar propellants. Many amateur groups (e.g., USC's RPL (uscrpl.com) have used composite casings with AP propellants, usually carbon fiber rather than fiberglass since CF is lighter and stronger. Here again, google is your friend.

I hope that this clarifies the issue of what's appropriate on this list. There is no hard-and-fast rule--it's mostly "be reasonable" given that this list is primarily about sugar propellant motors.

On 8/18/23 7:18 AM, Azadul Haq wrote:

Thank you Steve. There are quite a few questions I had in mind, for instance,

1. Did anyone try building a liquid fuel motor with enough thrust and longer flight time?
2. Did anyone try Thrust Vector Control in high powered rocketry? We saw examples in low powered rockets.
3. What other choices do we have besides aluminum/graphite for nozzles?
4. Did anyone try fiberglass fuel cells? (I am about to test them with a fire retardant paint coating)

Sincerely,

Azadul Haq

On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 7:07 PM Steve Peterson <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Azadul,
    I'm wondering what topics/questions you might have had in mind....