[studiorecorder] Re: invalid wave file/how to change this

  • From: "Ford, Tim (CDPH-OLS)" <Tim.Ford@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 12:15:29 -0800

Hi Kimberly,

My name is Tim Ford, and I just may have the answer, because I think you did
that which I had done accidentally.

I think the wave device error message is the clue.  For Studio Recorder, you
select the recording input device, generally a specified sound card, using the
control w command.  In many other programs, control w is the command for
exiting that file, where in Studio Recorder it is the Control f4 command.  So
what I did accidentally was to hit the control w to exit a Studio Recorder
file, not pay attention to the prompts, and end up changing the input device
selection without intending or even realizing I had.

So I have an experiment for you to try, one that if you follow the steps below,
will not harm anything, and will hopefully fix the problem.

Go into studio Recorder, hold the control key and press w, and see what input
device is selected.  If you do not know which device name you were using when
all was fine, and sometimes the computer names for a device are a bit obscure,
just experiment.  See how many devices you have, and just select them one at a
time and then go into a new Studio Recorder file and see if the f6 record
command works.  You cannot hurt anything, and it takes only a few seconds to
see if a given input device gets things working again.

Sincerely,
Tim Ford