[studiorecorder] Re: absolutely stumped on this one, folks

  • From: Jayson Smith <jaybird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 20:15:02 -0400

Hi,

I just looked, and you can get SoX from http://sox.sourceforge.net on the Downloads page. Once you have it, put it in a directory on your path. Then, from a command line, do something like:

sox a.wav b.wav

where a.wav is the file you're trying to use, and b.wav is a new file to be generated, which will have the material from a.wav but in PCM format.

Then open b.wav in Studio Recorder and it should work fine. Hope that helps.

Jayson

On 6/22/2015 2:12 PM, Harry Brown wrote:

Hi Jayson,
You mentioned in another message a program you use to convert files to pcm files. Where do I go to get it? Is there a cost for the program? And how do I use it?
Harry

On 6/21/2015 10:14 PM, Jayson Smith wrote:
Hi,

You will need to convert it to PCM using another editor or program. Studio Recorder will not be able to do anything with the file other than playing it until you do.

Jayson

On 6/20/2015 3:31 PM, Harry Brown wrote:
Hi Jayson and all,
Yep, that is exactly right, about pcm! Studio recorder cannot convert this. I tryed to even convert this to mp3, in studio recorder, and it just couldn't do it.
So, where do I go from here? I've got 8 files.
Harry

On 6/20/2015 2:06 PM, Jayson Smith wrote:
Hi,

If this is a Philmore voicemail message sent via Email, those waves are compressed, I forget which method is used, but the data isn't PCM, which means Studio Recorder can't edit it without it being converted to PCM. To do this, I use a command-line program called SoX to do the job, though others would probably work. If you have another audio editor, open the file in that editor, then save it as a Wav PCM or some such.

Hope that helps!

Jayson

On 6/19/2015 1:55 PM, Harry Brown wrote:
Hi all,
I'm using studio recorder, on a windows 7 computer, using jaws 12.
I have never seen this happen before.
I have 2 wav files:
One is a file, from philmore voicemail. It's a file on which I talked about things to do after you get a new computer. This is a wav file, of me talking over the phone, to a computer group. The second file, is Jonathan Mosen, demonstrating flexible web, using jaws 14.
Now these are both, wav files.
On the demonstration, I can use control right arrow just fine, and I can do editing.
On the other file, when I press shift right arrow, I can't hear any of the file, at all.
I'm stumped folks. Anyone have an idea what's happening here? How am I able to edit 1 wav file, but not another?
Harry