Re: [steem] Panic! Timer A too slow since STeem v. 2.3 !?!?

  • From: "Steem Authors" <steem@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 19:15:11 +0100

Hi Stefan,

> Yepp, that's it! Of course I ran MIDIplay in high resolution.
> And I also noticed that the plackback was more like it should be
> when changing the run speed to 105%.
>
> I don't understand exactly why the video refresh rate affects the
> timer A speed or overall run speed so strongly, but anyway -
> at least I now know how to deal with it.

Well it doesn't affect emulation itself, but speed limiting is done on a
frame by frame basis so you just get less frames in a second, and therefore
less CPU cycles.

> I also noticed that the timing gets 'stuttering' or unstable when I
> switch the refresh rate to 'Auto Frameskip'. Strangely, it gets also
> unstable when switching to 'Draw every 4th frame'. One should think
> that the timing should be as good is in 'Draw every frame' but not
> use the same amount of CPU.

Draw every 4th frame causes 4 frames to be compressed into the time that one
frame would normally take, so this can sometimes affect sound output,
especially if the PC is quick. I don't know why Auto Frameskip is causing
problems, if your PC is fast enough it should be identical to Draw Every
Frame.

> > I heard somewhere that the real rate of mono is 71Hz, if
> > this is the case then I can make the next version fit to that
> > almost exactly
> > and remove this problem, does anyone know if it is correct?
>
> Actually, it's 71.2 Hz. Here are some details from the net:
> (www.best-electronics-ca.com/monitors.htm)
>
> (...) the following Atari ST series computer range of Video outputs,
> TTL level Output of 1 Volt Peak to Peak (P-P) Video (R.G.B.)
> lines and 1 Volt P-P Audio Signal with a Horizontal / Vertical
> Synchronization and Scan frequency of: 15.75 kHz Horizontal,
> 60 Hz Vertical for Color display, 35.7 kHz Horizontal,
> 71.2Hz Vertical for Monochrome display.

Thanks, that helps a lot. The closest I can get is 71.4, but that should be
good enough. :)

Cheers,
Russell Hayward

--