Re: [steem] Panic! Timer A too slow since STeem v. 2.3 !?!?

  • From: "Stefan Kuhn" <stefanj_mail@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:07:51 +0200

Hi Russ,

> So I changed
> it to speed limit under speed, this would mean that monochrome would
> actually be 66.666Hz rather than 70Hz. This means it is running
> at about 95%
> of what it was before. To restore the old behaviour change the "Run Speed"
> option to 105%.

Yepp, that's it! Of course I ran MIDIplay in high resolution.
And I also noticed that the plackback was more like it should be
when changing the run speed to 105%.

I don't understand exactly why the video refresh rate affects the
timer A speed or overall run speed so strongly, but anyway -
at least I now know how to deal with it.

I also noticed that the timing gets 'stuttering' or unstable when I
switch the refresh rate to 'Auto Frameskip'. Strangely, it gets also
unstable when switching to 'Draw every 4th frame'. One should think
that the timing should be as good is in 'Draw every frame' but not
use the same amount of CPU.

Anyway, thank you for investigating on this!

> I heard somewhere that the real rate of mono is 71Hz, if
> this is the case then I can make the next version fit to that
> almost exactly
> and remove this problem, does anyone know if it is correct?

Actually, it's 71.2 Hz. Here are some details from the net:
(www.best-electronics-ca.com/monitors.htm)

(...) the following Atari ST series computer range of Video outputs,
TTL level Output of 1 Volt Peak to Peak (P-P) Video (R.G.B.)
lines and 1 Volt P-P Audio Signal with a Horizontal / Vertical
Synchronization and Scan frequency of: 15.75 kHz Horizontal,
60 Hz Vertical for Color display, 35.7 kHz Horizontal,
71.2Hz Vertical for Monochrome display.

Best,
Stefan