Re: [steem] Atari Questionaire

  • From: Richie Alexander <archiebaldrick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 07:33:16 -0800 (PST)

Why not tell us about your own Atari story?
Why not.
My father had an 800 Atari that had a flight simulator
on it which I got as a hand-me-down when the ST came
out in the 1970?s.  Later, when he got a Mac, I
started using his old ST. (early 1980s)  It may sound
funny, but even with some pretty good games written
for the ST, my brother and I probably played 'Rogue'
the most.  Even though the graphics were lame, the
total random changes of each new game required
strategic adaptation which kept our interest.  Since
the game was designed to not be saved, we would
compete in the ?hall of fame? seeing how far we could
make it before we suffered a variety of horrific
deaths.
The ST flight simulator turned out to be extremely
useful when I took up gliding as a hobby.  Management
of air speed during the many hours of simulated flight
has helped, and maybe even saved me in real flight,
due to the automatic responses drilled in through
extensive simulator experience.  Additionally, the
delay time between control input and the resulting
reaction of larger simulated aircraft is very similar
to the ?feel? and timing of some other vehicles, such
as larger boats and real aircraft, which has allowed
me to adapt quickly in situations where other people
were unable to cope.  Anyway, I used the ST for years
until PCs finally caught up.
Rich