specurtin-committee Re: agenda

  • From: Christopher Coman <c.coman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "specurtin-committee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <specurtin-committee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 14:59:32 +0000

I got that Winston, and thanks for clearing it up, I had misinterpreted how you
had phrased and put forward what you created. I also refer you to
http://www.spe.org/groups/chapters/resources.php which links to the ops
calendar, and suggest you read the links on "How a student chapter is formed"
and the "Sample Bylaws" to give you a better sense of how things are expected
to operate, both from the SPE, and from the membership of the club.

I apologise for offending you, as that was not my intent, however I found your
idea that we have missed the whole point of why we set ourselves up with the
assistance of the department, and the idea that SPE somehow set us up and we
are a subjugate branch of them went against the grain of what I believe
successful student clubs embody, being self-determination, collaboration and
representation.

I also found your comment that us recruiting new students was getting them into
the Curtin guild to be lacking in  accuracy. In no way do we promote people
joining the guild. We do offer guild members a $5 discount, as the guild
provides us with significant financial and operational support throughout the
year. In fact, the only people we care about joining the guild are our
executive, so that we can remain affiliated to them and continue to gain from
their support.

We are not an SPE section, we are a student chapter. We are not a financial or
legal part of the SPE and our main aim should not be to get students to join
the SPE, although we certainly encourage that. Your comment that "this
perception needs to be rectified immediately" came from your own incorrect
perception, and was ignorant of what we have done so far to encourage students
to join the SPE, like creating a guided handout for O-Day and it will be one of
the first things we e-mail out to all students now that we have got their
"contact details down so we can mail out information to them".

I'm not about creating tension, but I'm certainly not going to limit my
self-expression when it comes to things I'm passionate about. You can count on
me to be straight with you, regardless of how I think it might land, and say
what is on my mind. You can also trust that I'm always intent on empowering and
enabling the people around me. If you will not allow tensions and conflict to
arise then you won't get the benefit of having them resolved, so I'm not going
to promise never to conflict or to create tension. It's healthy. However, I
will always have a commitment to get it resolved. I don't hang onto stuff once
it's communicated.

Anyway, glad to have begun this discussion and there may be more to say
tomorrow. I want to acknowledge your commitment to leading the committee but I
offer the advice of learning to herd cats. It's not a linear process.

Coman