[sonarblindbeta] Re: Sonar Blind control surface issue

  • From: Chris Belle <chrisbelle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sonarblindbeta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 13:26:49 -0500

David?

My understanding such as it is is that control surface technology isn't an accessibility solution as such, but smart folks have used it
to make things easier.

It is actually intended to make hardware connect to sonar, like the mackie universal, and
act controlers for general on the fly connections,
where a protocol wasn't defined.

That's the problem with control surfaces, everybody does their own thing, there are a few fairly well defined
protocols like mackie universal and hui for protools and such, but it's up to the devs to write their own dll, and this is what Jamie and vic did,
defining controls for the transport and navigation and such.

Theoretically, one could define any control surface to do anything as long as automatible parameters are exposed by the program,
and even with well defined protocols, there are areas that one has to define themselves in .ini files if one want to change anything and not have to go dig for the say 200 controls in a given synth or plug,
we've been having lots of discussion on the merits or not of surfaces on midimag lately.

Someone correct me
if I'm wrong about how this works,
but we're basically using the same technology, but binding it to the keyboard instead of a piece of actual hardware like a control surface unit,
but the way it talks to sonar
is through the same mechanism that any control surface would use.

On 5/5/2015 10:17 AM, David Engebretson Jr. wrote:

So Sonar doesn't provide a way for sighted folk to test the control surface?
I've dealt with software developers before who advertized their "control surface" has worked, but then found out that it wasn't working with their newer version of their software. After several weeks of frustrating debugging I was told, "we are sorry, we didn't realize it wasn't working."
So, even though sonar says their control surface works, are you sure it works?
It might save some frustration if you verify all of the functions can work - without JAWS in the middle of communication with the control surface and user.
Best,
David