[sociate] Rumors into reality: Google Talk rocks!

  • From: "Jerry Michalski" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sociate@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:52:23 -0400

OK, so at midnight East Coast time I got a ping from
<http://www.meskill.net/bio.html> Judith asking if I'd tried Google Talk
yet. Of course, they'd
<http://www.downloadsquad.com/2005/08/23/googe-talk-review/> blogged it
already, so off I went to  <http://talk.google.com/> talk.google.com to
install it.

It's such a small app that it installs and is running before you fully
realize it. It feels lightweight, with an economical interface that includes
brilliant multi-conversation windowing. Your conversations tile together
vertically, with idle conversations folding small. I had six running
concurrently and didn't feel overwhelmed. It's easy to see who's talking to
you.

No bits wasted.

Another great touch: If you've populated your Gmail address book, it's
insidiously easy to invite those people to Google Talk. I spent the evening
watching some of those invitations turning into live users, then chatting
with them. Very cool.

The voice feature is super simple and high quality. If I were
<http://www.skype.com/> Skype, I'd be plenty worried.

Well done, Google!

Now for multi-party chat and audio, audio recording and a few other
goodies...

posted by Jerry at
<http://www.sociate.com/blog/archives/2005_08_01_archive.html#11248626666282
7479> 9:19 PM