[sociate] Rethinking traffic lights and structures

  • From: "Jerry Michalski" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sociate@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:11:20 -0400

Wired recently ran an article --
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.12/traffic.html> Roads Gone Wild --
about Hans Monderman, a Dutch traffic engineer who has been doing something
pretty radical with local roads. By thoughtfully removing traffic lights,
signs and other affordances we take for granted, and by softening the
distinction between road and sidewalk, or between pedestrian and vehicular
paths through squares, he has improved traffic.

 <http://nlfmr.hyve.cc/images/oosterwolde_01.jpg> Drivers now slow down
naturally, instead of ignoring the 25-mile-an-hour speed limit (ok, 40 kph);
they make eye contact with other drivers and pedestrians, instead of blowing
past them, sure of their rights-of-way. Accidents go down; flow doesn't get
stopped up.

Monderman's thesis, which I love, seems to be that traffic signs make us
less careful.

I'd love to reach Monderman to interview him, but Google isn't turning up
any useful leads. Anyone know how to find him?

posted by Jerry at
<http://www.sociate.com/blog/archives/2005_08_01_archive.html#11248649110526
4705> 12:07 AM

JPEG image