[sociate] Outside-In

  • From: "Jerry Michalski" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sociate@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 00:12:58 -0400

At Cecily Sommers'  <http://pushthefuture.org/> PUSH conference in June, I
debuted a talk that has been bouncing around in my head for a few years now.
I called it "Outside-In," because in it I describe a half-dozen outsiders --
people whose ideas have affected the way I see the world (and act in it),
but who have largely been marginalized in their different disciplines.

Since June, I've given the talk twice more, once as a
<http://www.futuresalon.org/2005/07/forward_thinker.html> performance-y
piece mashed up with my software Brain at the  <http://hillsideclub.org/>
Hillside Club here in Berkeley (thanks, Jeff and Sylvia!), then later in the
week at Sun (thanks, Richard!), as a lunchtime provocateur.

It's a funny talk, in that I really enjoy the drama it builds, but
explaining the point of the talk saps that drama. Not knowing the punchline
makes it more engaging.

Some of the punchline is online (plot spoiler warning), because Ethan
Zuckerman  <http://www.ethanzuckerman.com/blog/?p=88> blogged my PUSH talk,
and Chris Carfi
<http://www.socialcustomer.com/2005/08/jerrys_brain_an.html> blogged the
Hillside version. I love what they wrote, and am working their
recommendations in.

This is also a pretty negative talk for an optimistic guy like me. Stacy
Kozakavich made a great recommendation: I should treat the first segment as
an Act I, to be followed by others, forming a larger dramatic arc.

Now to piece those puzzle bits together.

If you'd like to hear the talk, I'd like to perform it. Please get in touch.

posted by Jerry at
<http://www.sociate.com/blog/archives/2005_08_01_archive.html#11237442016124
8515> 11:25 PM