[soapcraft] Re: Newbie

  • From: Ross Spencer <galahad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: soapcraft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 09:32:09 +1300

Hi Heather

Welcome.  We need more soap makers J

Even those of us who have been making soap for a while can learn from a
newbie's experience so let us know about your soaping adventures when they
happen.  There is a wealth of knowledge here and everyone is into something
different.

The coloured baking moulds do leach L  The one I use is not too bad but I
still notice it a bit on white soap.  Professional soap moulds tend to be
made of uncoloured silicone

Layering - the short answer is yes, the second layer needs to go onto the
first once it has set enough to support it but not after it has completely
set.  Some have suggested you could score the first layer with a fork or
something if the first layer has hardened and then put your second layer on
but I think the final result would look a bit odd.  With Melt and Pour soap
layering, you can spray the top of the hardened layer with high grade
alcohol before adding the second layer but I believe this works only with
Melt and Pour.

I strongly suggest you join The Dish and read through the forums -
www.thedish.com

Supplies - Gina has a good range of supplies and I would like to think we
support her wherever possible.  Also try Go Native (www.gonative.co.nz) for
a very extensive range of base supplies.  Essential oils - again to support
local www.essentialoil.co.nz.   I do get  a lot of stuff from non-New
Zealand companies for items that appear to be not available locally (good
range of lip balm flavours, good range of fragrance oils, rarer essential
oils, some colours)

Ross