[soapcraft] Comments - Liz's Soap

  • From: "Liz Brook" <liz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Soapcraft" <soapcraft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 21:45:54 +1300

Thank you Ross - very constructive and informative.

I buy rolls of cellophane - I have one of those gift wrap holders and I
literally pull, straighten, measure and cut into lengths and again into my soap
wrapping size - tis one of those mindless jobs - but quite precise and I
actually quite enjoy doing it!  And of course wrapping - I'm quite OTT.

Thanks for the feedback on my label.  I've been thinking of changing if for a
loooooong time.  But haven't spent enough time on simplicity yet!  But I needed
to hear that.

Yes, I always have more than one litre of patchouli on hand at all times.  It
is definitely one of those essential oils that is far better with age -
gorgeous in fact!

I agree with a nice lighter lavender swirl - just waiting for my lovely big
slab moulds to play!

And yes the orange is only noticeable when first made - but I think it takes
the edge off the patchouli as the soap ages and rounds it off.

And yes a high proportion of olive oil - it is a must in all my soaps.  I also
think the alkanet infusion made this particular bar less lathery and more slimy
than usual.  Interesting.  (It is the strongest alkanet infusion I have made).

Potassium lactate - I have been using this in my soaps for years.  It is much
milder than the sodium lactate touted overseas.  It means I don't have to line
moulds, the soap sort of pops off the mould and yes contributes a lot to the
hardness of the bar.  And you only have to use such a miniscule amount.  It
does diminish scent a little and colour.  But I know this and I make my recipes
with these points in mind.  Anything not to have to line moulds.

Thank you for your feedback - keep it coming.

Cheers
Liz
www.lizziebee.co.nz