[slackintosh-users] Re: g3 B&w install questions

  • From: Donovan Watteau <tsoomi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 13:07:51 +0100

Hello,

2011/11/11 Jesse St.John <jesselorenstjohn@xxxxxxxxx>:
> hi group, im interested in finding anyone with experience installing
> slackintosh on a g3 blue and white. any info would be great.
I do have a B&W G3 running Slackintosh 12.1. Did you already try to
install it or are you asking if there are problems installing it?
Because there are some problems, mainly with Yaboot, but with a few
workarounds things work here.

Things are really problematic if you don't have any HFS or Ext2/Ext3
partition on your hard drive, because Yaboot can't boot the kernel
from the CD-Rom on a G3 B&W. And you can't netboot with the (old)
version of Yaboot which comes with Slackintosh 12.1 because the initrd
is too big. So, as far as I know, you need to make an HFS partition
with Mac OS or a ext2 partition with something like OpenBSD/macppc
installer (which boots fine from the CD-Rom, maybe because the kernel
is way smaller).

If you do have an HFS or Ext2/Ext3 partition, then things will be
easier. So, just tell me what you have and I'll try to tell you what
to do.

BTW, don't try to run Slackintosh -current on a G3 B&W. There are some
options missing in the kernel so it won't work well. I do have a
2.6.33.9 kernel which works fine here on a G3 B&W with the version of
udev provided in Slackintosh 12.1 (later kernels don't cope well with
an old udev). When you're done with installing Slackintosh 12.1, I
could send you this kernel if you want it.

You'll also need a patched version of xf86-video-r128 if you want to
run Xorg, otherwise it will just crash (I guess there was a bug in
this version of Xorg, using a more recent version of xf86-video-r128
with a patch from OpenBSD made it work for me).

I also have some packages (openjdk, postgresql, dosbox, gprolog,
ocaml, mupdf, valgrind...) that you might want.

Cheers,
Donovan.