[slackintosh-users] Re: g3 B&w install questions

  • From: Donovan Watteau <tsoomi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 22:58:00 +0100

> ill patch it for the sake of experience,
which is a nice idea, especially when you're running something like Slackware :)

A cleaner way of building packages on Slackware is SlackBuilds. But the
SlackBuilds used for Xorg are quite complicated (because they build a lot of
different components at the same time), so they're not worth the effort.

> but ill prolly want the package as well just so i have it. thx for the
> instructions
OK, send me an email when you want it, then.

> i was wondering in the patch bit: is it a pipe correct?
Yes, it is. It basicaly prints the content of the file (cat) and feeds it to the
"patch" command. An other approach would be:
  patch -p3 < r128_driver.c.diff
which tells "patch" to directly read the content from the file.  But I'm
not a big fan of this syntax because it's easy (at least on my keyboard)
to put a ">" instead of a "<" and then you're telling "patch" to redirect
its output (i.e. nothing) to "r128_driver.c.diff" so you lose the content
of your file.