[slackintosh-users] Re: g3 B&w install questions

  • From: Jesse <jesselorenstjohn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 08:02:50 -0600

Sent from my iPhone 4

On Nov 11, 2011, at 6:07 AM, Donovan Watteau <tsoomi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 2011/11/11 Jesse St.John <jesselorenstjohn@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> hi group, im interested in finding anyone with experience installing
>> slackintosh on a g3 blue and white. any info would be great.
> I do have a B&W G3 running Slackintosh 12.1. Did you already try to
> install it or are you asking if there are problems installing it?

I had a first gen iBook and slackintosh playing in a matter of a few days, with
no problems, even the fb worked well ....
> Because there are some problems, mainly with Yaboot, but with a few
> workarounds things work here.
>
> Things are really problematic if you don't have any HFS or Ext2/Ext3
> partition on your hard drive, because Yaboot can't boot the kernel
> from the CD-Rom on a G3 B&W. And you can't netboot with the (old)
> version of Yaboot which comes with Slackintosh 12.1 because the initrd
> is too big. So, as far as I know, you need to make an HFS partition
> with Mac OS or a ext2 partition with something like OpenBSD/macppc
> installer (which boots fine from the CD-Rom, maybe because the kernel
> is way smaller).
>
> If you do have an HFS or Ext2/Ext3 partition, then things will be
> easier. So, just tell me what you have and I'll try to tell you what
> to do.
>
> BTW, don't try to run Slackintosh -current on a G3 B&W. There are some
> options missing in the kernel so it won't work well. I do have a
> 2.6.33.9 kernel which works fine here on a G3 B&W with the version of
> udev provided in Slackintosh 12.1 (later kernels don't cope well with
> an old udev). When you're done with installing Slackintosh 12.1, I
> could send you this kernel if you want it.
>
> You'll also need a patched version of xf86-video-r128 if you want to
> run Xorg, otherwise it will just crash (I

I'd be interested in hearing how to do this, however, I had no problems with
iBook, and i was thinking of grabbing a pci card that might better for graphics
if the r128 was buggy they have some pci radeon that apparently works pretty
good on those g3s but tell me about the patch

> guess there was a bug in
> this version of Xorg, using a more recent version of xf86-video-r128
> with a patch from OpenBSD made it work for me).
>
> I also have some packages (openjdk, postgresql, dosbox, gprolog,
> ocaml, mupdf, valgrind...) that you might want.

Also Mac.dev buttons and where to put those keycodes for rightclick w/ a
modifier would be good info as well.