[SimpleMail-usr] Re: ARexx - ADDRNEW

  • From: "AmigaPhil" <AmigaPhil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sebastian Bauer" <simplemail-usr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 21 Aug 2009 23:26:46 +0100

Sebastian Bauer wrote :

>> In the meantime, I downloaded Yam 2.5 to have a look at its docs.  I
>> found that many ARexx commands are similar, so I'm taking the missing
>> guilines from there...
>
> I wouldn't mind if you update the SimpleMail doc a little bit in this
> area ;)

Ok, I can try to help.  However, I don't know much about the inners of
SimpleMail, so I can't document something I don't know exists.  :-)

(Should I edit the current AmigaGuide and mail it back to you ?)

>> (Something for the feature wishlist as well: DESCRIPTION, PGPID, ...)
>
> Yes, please add them in the SF request. It's fairly easy to add such
> attributes.

Done.

>> This does not work the same way in SimpleMail.
>> After a new entry is added, a missing alias is not created, and
>> there is no check to avoid duplicate aliases.
>
> The "alias" field is not a unique key in SimpleMail.

Good.  So the alias can be imported "as is" from Thor.

>> Well, after this first attempt to import data from Thor, I think
>> I would better do it the other way: write a script for Thor to
>> export to other mailers. ;-)
>
> Would be possible to. But you could also add feature request, as this
> would at least track the missing features ;)

The missing commands/arguments are a blocker to import all available
fields from Thor's Userbase.

However, as SimpleMail's address book is a simple text (xml) file, and
as Thor's ARexx interface has everything to allow exporting stuf, it is
quiet easy to build a new address book for SimpleMail from within Thor.
(But more tricky is add new contacts to an existing address book, as it
would require that the ARexx script to parse the xml file completely
before reconstructing it with the new entries.)

Here are the fields that can be exported from Thor:

Thor          SimpleMail
*NAME*     -> NAME
*ADDRESS*  -> EMAIL, but ADDRESS contains only one email address
*ALIAS*    -> ALIAS
*COMMENT*  -> NOTE
              (COMMENT can have up to 10 lines, with no LF allowed
              in each string.  But that is easy to handle with ARexx.)
           -> DESCRIPTION (in this case, only COMMENT.1 would be used.)
*PGPKEYID* -> PGPID
*ENCODE8BITMSG*

The last one is a flag to make a new message written for that recipient
to be 8bits encoded.  I don't think this is any usefull today (so let's
ignore it).

So I posted a feature suggestion about ADDRNEW having DESCRIPTION, PGPID,
and NOTE as additional input arguments.  (The commands ADDRLISTFREEZE
and ADDRLISTTHAW are not essential here but would improve the import
operation.)

With these, I could complete a script for SimpleMail that will import
Thor's contacts either straight from Thor (talking with its ARexx
interface), from a text file (previously exported by Thor), or
extracted from a binary file (part of Thor's database).

(Next, I'll study the question of importing mails.  THAT will require
 Thor to run.)

Side question:
Is there a way to embold text shown with the REQUEST command ?
(I tried ANSI escape sequence, but it does not seem to work.)

AmigaPhil